This is a link to a video (and audio) of a podcast I did with Bernadette Boas. Her Podcast is entitled “Shedding the Bitch Radio”
For readers of this blog, the “bitch” referred to above is any emotion that might be problematic for women.
When I learned of the podcast, I emailed Bernadette and suggested that the notion that women might want to eliminate or “shed” their emotions might disempower women and that I would welcome the opportunity to offer a different way for women to view and strategically deploy their emotions as powerful tools.
While I do not present myself as a spokesperson for women, I do know about emotions. Bernadette asked me to appear on her podcast.
I highly recommend this video both to you as my readers and to anyone you believe might benefit from it.
Yes, the focus is on women but men would also benefit from learning both how women perceive us (I am a man after all.) and how to more adaptively interact with women.
Throughout the podcast, Bernadette led the discussion and I responded to her questions with suggestions that she, as a woman, found useful.
She and I talked about a wide ranging variety of topics including:
- what emotions are
- the emotions cycle
- the “non-difference” between men’s and women’s anger
- how different “display rules” dictate what is emotionally “appropriate” for men verses women
- the emotion myths
- the power of anger
- how and why men demean or devalue women’s anger
- how women can strategically deploy their anger to effectively impact their interactions with men
- the Basic Relationship Rule as a key to understanding others and dealing with anger that is directed by men toward women
- a suggested strategy for dealing with others who are yelling at you and the reason this strategy is effective (it isn’t what you might think)
Here are the links to the audio and videos. Feel free to pass them on.